Feeling sorry for myself.
I'm Celeste, a magazine editor living in Phoenix.
Get ready for a lot of fitness, a lot of sass and a lot of froyo.
Today wasn’t my favorite. I woke up at 5 a.m. to take Sara to the airport, had a billion appointments and was supposed to have a double header for soccer. The second game started at 9:30, and I feel like ass, so I skipped out and headed home. I drove like 200 miles today and didn’t get to spend more than like 30 minutes at home before running off to my next engagement.
5 a.m. wake up
5:30 go to the airport
6 - 7:30 gym
9 - 10 boot camp
10:30 - 12 SAT tutoring
12:30 - 2:30 Fit for my Family content meeting
4 - 6 academic tutoring
7 - 9 indoor soccer
Tomorrow, I’m running trails for the first time in Fountain Hills (aka 45 minutes away), so I have to wake up at 5 again. For the third day in a row.
- Gym: 20 miles spin bike, abs
- Boot camp: tabata body weight circuit, partner resistance band work, 60/15 intense cardio circuit
- Soccer: running around clutching my gut for 50 minutes
Sorry for the negativity today. I’m just tired of constantly feeling awful. Hopefully my weird rib shooting pains will subside and I can continue on with life tomorrow. Thanks for all of the encouragement.
Switching it up.
- Started the day off with a nice run
- Finishing teacher training for the week
- A relieving phone rant to my mom about idiotic teachers
- Setting up my first trail run with one of my training partners!
- Lifting the food log burden off of my shoulders
- Damn good dinner and then froyo
- Started the day off at 5 a.m.
- Spilling burning hot oatmeal all over my hand and the floor
- Feeling like an alien is trying to escape my abdomen … since 2 p.m.
- Having to do incline treadmill pushing with before-mentioned alien baby wreaking havoc
- Realizing I have to wake up at 5 a.m. again tomorrow
- Run: 4.5 miles with K (included 1 tempo mile, and some 400 repeats)
- Gym: 15 miles spin bike
- Training: Resistance band leg stability exercises, treadmill pushing (full incline with belt off, so we have to use momentum to push for anywhere up to 60 seconds at a time), big resistance band partner running mechanics
Food journaling has been crucial to my weight loss success. Whether on a post-it or in this tumblr, keeping track of my consumption has held me accountable. Journaling truly facilitated my 15-pound loss in the past 6 months.
With that said, I think it’s gone too far. I’m not oblivious; I can and will admit that I’ve become obsessive about it.
I’m constantly thinking about where I’m at for the day, how many calories I have left, what I could eat for x amount of calories, etc.
I do not want or need to lose any more weight. I do want and need to learn to maintain without being calories obsessed. I eat quality foods and maintain healthy habits, and these should encourage and propel my positive, fit lifestyle.
Food and calories should not rule my life, and I’m done letting them.
Also, today was a rest day for sure. My IT bands are still wallowing after the long run/brutal leg workout combo from earlier in the week. I’m going running tomorrow morning, so I’m hoping they’ll be ready to move again by then.
Wednesday, June 15 food log:
- B: cereal with blueberries
- S: 1/3 cup edamame, Kashi granola bar
- L: egg whites, spinach, bell peppers, shredded chicken; yogurt with blueberries and Fiber One bran
- S: mini kettlecorn bag, an apple
- D: sliced barbecue chicken on a sandwich thin, side salad, 1/2 Jamba light smoothie
- De: instant oatmeal with blueberries, some cereal, a pumpkin pancake (post-workout munchies? ugh.)
- Incline walk on treadmill: 3.75 miles, 10%
And I’m still trying to master the art of two breakfasts. Waking up at 5 is such a biatch.
Tuesday, May 14 food log:
- B1: oatmeal with blueberries and a spattering of granola
- B2: pumpkin pancakes
- S: roasted edamame, small Fiber One bar
- L: egg whites, stir fry veggies, Arctic Zero with Fiber One
- S: NF yogurt with blueberries and Fiber One
- D: fajita vegetables with some steak, spinach, scoop of beans and pico
- De: 1/2 protein shake, cereal
- Run: 3.5 miles with K
- Gym: 3.5 miles incline walk (10%), arms
- Training: stretching and foam rolling (my legs were toast after yesterday’s leg workout)
P.S. - Sometimes I read people’s food logs and die. There will seriously be like … three things on the list. They are either 1. killing themselves or 2. full of shit.
Monday, June 13 food log:
- B: oatmeal with blueberries, 1/3 apple
- L: English muffin with egg whites, steamed veggies, plain NF yogurt with berries and Fiber One
- S: 1/2 grapefruit, Clif bar, 1/2 Jamba light smoothie
- D: stir fry vegetables, defrosted and delicious Italian egg drop soup
- De: Arctic Zero with 1/2 banana, Fiber One
- S: plain Cheerios with blueberries, handful edamame and nuts
- Boot camp: glutes and hamstrings strength work
- Gym: 25 miles spin bike
Lots of exercise + waking up at 5 a.m. = lots of food. Delicious. I definitely took in about 2,100 calories today, and it felt good. I’m still a bit hazy on how to manage eating when I’m up so early/running, but I’m attempting to figure it out.
Sunday, June 12 food log:
- B1: PB+J English muffin, Fiber One bar
- B2: pumpkin pancakes
- L: 1/2 salad (sans dressing) + fruit from Paradise Bakery
- S: cereal, tall light coconut creme frappe
- S: small Fiber One bar, trail mix
- D: grilled and shredded pork, chicken and veggies (bell peppers, onions, eggplant and zucchini)
- De: Arctic Zero with half banana and Fiber One
- S: defrosted mini strawberry oat pancakes
- Run: 7 miles easy with Kelsey
- Gym: 10 miles spin bike, a few ab exercises
I am so happy to be home. Our road trip was fun, but I am so sick of eating out. Oof. Plus, driving 6 hours and avoiding fast food means no real lunch. Bummer.
Turns out I counted calories today. Tomorrow will be a good today to start the adventure of not counting, since I’m going to have a heavy duty long run.
Saturday, June 10 food log:
- B: banana, cereal (275)
- L: yogurt parfait, 2/3 cereal and milk bar (260)
- S: apple, orange (160)
- S: gnu bar, fortune cookie (150)
- D: scrambled egg, Boca burger, 1/2 pita, broccoli (255)
- S: oatmeal, 1/2 apple, blueberries (160)
- Treadmill: 4 mi jog (6, 6.5, 7, 7.5 MPH), 1 mi incline walk (15%)
Counting calories is too hard on vacation. So I’m going to forego it for the time being. Let’s see how this goes.
B: English muffin with a little PB and jelly, cornflakes
L: Egg white frittata with veggies and goat cheese, fruit salad
S: 7.5 oz froyo, gnu bar
D: House salad with balsamic vinaigrette on the side, a few of Jo’s sweet potato fries
Run: 5 miles with 2 miles walk warm up/cool down and 5 stadium runs
Biking 6ish miles around town
Walking at least 4 miles
Only I manage to eat healthier than normal on a road trip. Also, I remembered that I hate Subway. I can make a sandwich a trillion times better for less calories.
Tuesday, June 7 food log:
B: oatmeal: 120
S: Clif kids bar: 120
L: Subway turkey sandwich, minus some bread: 270, apple: 70
S: tangelo : 50, berries: 100
D: wahoo fish, sautéed veggies and salsa: 300 (or less)
S: Luna bar: 170, berries: 30
Total calories: 1,330
Biking about 10 miles around Santa Barbara
Walking around town … a lot
Tomorrow morning calls for a run. Thrilled.
I spent most of today running around like an idiot. Two tutoring appointments, boot camp, grocery store, errands, writing down a trillion to do lists, packing, etc. As a result, I only worked out once! I think this is the first time I haven’t done double duty in a long time. I’m impressed with myself.
Monday, June 6 food log:
- B: protein pancakes: 120, yogurt with blueberries: 80
- L: 2 eggs whites, 1/2 yolk scramble with asparagus: 120, oatmeal with blueberries: 115
- S: split protein shake with Jo: 165, nuts + cheerios: 200
- D: chicken stir fry with steamed veggies: 300, fortune cookie: 30, rice cake: 45
- S: heel of lo-cal bread with some pumpkin butter: 45, oatmeal with chopped apple and blueberries: 180
Total calories: 1,400
- Bootcamp: Cardio heavy 2 min work/30 sec rest circuits
Sunday, June 5 log:
- B: (pre-run) cereal: 220, (post-run) bagel thin w/easy CC: 175
- L: egg white, stir fry veggies: 75, oatmeal with blueberries: 110
- S: Arctic Zero float: 30, yogurt with blueberries: 60
- S2: Clif kids bar: 130, random cereal handfuls: 50
- D: salad with small ass scoop of linguine + clam sauce: 250, berry crisp with scoop yogurt: 250 (rough estimates from mom’s dinner)
- S: oatmeal with baked cinnamon apple: 190
Total calories: 1,530
- Run: 6.2 miles easy with Kelsey
- Gym: 17 mi spin bike, arm weights
Saturday, June 4 food log:
- B: Cereal: 175, Fiber Plus bar: 120
- L: 1/2 Pei Wei kid’s meal: 250, yogurt with fruit and Fiber One: 175
- S: Luna Bar: 180
- D: spinach with salsa: 40, stir fried veggies: 35, 4ish oz. salmon: 160
- De: Arctic Zero with Fiber One: 120, instant oatmeal: 130
Total calories: 1,385
- Walk: 1 mile with Nono
- Boot camp: 20/10 Tabata work out
- Gym: 15 miles spin bike
- B: Cereal: 150, Clif kids bar: 130
- L: egg whites, chicken and veggies: 195
- S: yogurt with berries: 150, popsicle: 15
- S: edamame with some nuts: 150
- D: 1/2 Pei Wei kids meal (steamed chicken, brown rice and veggies): 255, bowl Fiber One with blueberries: 120
- De: Arctic Zero with Fiber One: 100, bowl instant oatmeal: 110
Total calories: 1,375
- Run: 5K in 22:19
- Gym: 3.7 mile incline walk (10%), 7 mi spin bike
Thursday, June 2 food log:
- B: cereal: 150, pancakes: 120
- S: yogurt with blueberries: 125, gnu bar: 130
- L: egg white, asparagus and zucchini: 70, 1/2 chicken breast, spinach and spoonful of black beans: 105
- S: diet root beer float with Arctic Zero: 35, apple with FF yogurt: 115
- S2: Fiber Plus bar: 120, Fiber One cereal with blueberries: 100
- D: small cup veggie broth with broccoli and onion: 50, split salad with spinach and strawberries: 150
- De: 7.5 ounces froyo (cherry amaretto!!): 200
Total calories: 1,470
- Run: 4 miles with Kelsey (warm up + 2 tempo miles + cool down)
- Gym: 10 miles spin bike, abs
- Training: running mechanics + treadmill hill intervals (15% incline at 8-9 MPH for 25 seconds … repeat 3,402 times)